jazz

Post new topic  Reply to topic Jazz (international) -> Proto-Kaw-The Wait Of Glory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
muzikman

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2006 10:07    Post subject: Proto-Kaw-The Wait Of Glory Reply with quote

Artist: Proto-Kaw
Title: The Wait Of Glory
Genre: Progressive Rock-Jazz Rock Fusion
Label: Inside Out
Website

In 2004, Kerry Livgren rejoined his old friend's in his pre-Kansas band Proto-Kaw. They
took a roll of the dice with Before Became AfterEarly Recordings From
Kansas 1971-1973
, which was Proto-Kaw, and that is what started the ball rolling. Now
its two years later and they have returned triumphantly with yet another masterpiece
called The Wait Of Glory.

I have been spinning this disc for two weeks solid now, listening for different nuances
that I did not catch from the previous listen. It works that way with the interesting
complex musical structures that Proto-Kaw offers. While I loved Before Became
After
, I think this album shows more maturity and cohesiveness as a unit. Although the
first album was an experiment of sorts, it worked very well and I think this album is
one-step better, although I could not imagine that prior to hearing this.

Livgren is one intense writer; he is a Christian on a mission to spread his word through
some of the most intriguing and attention-grabbing music made today. This is as good as or
better than anything that he did with Kansas. He writes about the excesses of man, his
demise, and the dangers of the proliferation of his soul. It could be very dark music but
it is not as each track has plenty of light and hope waiting on the other side. As they
say, there are two sides to every story.

The emotional opening track "Nevermore" suggest that there is no more need to cry or die,
it is what the Great Spirit has in store for us if we live right and seek the light. Lynn
Meredith is a fantastic vocalist; he takes Livgren's lyrics and makes them come alive,
although I cannot help but hear Steve Walsh at times, especially on "Old Number," I swear
I heard Steve chime in with some background vocals, and on "Melicus Gladiator" he sounds
very similar to Walsh as well. Meredith does a good job carving out his own territory as a
vocalist and sounds original for a majority of the album, but just as on the first album,
I cannot help but make that comparison and it is of course a high-level compliment from my
viewpoint. The most moving and rich track for my listening was "When the Rains Come," the
lyrics really touched my soul. Lines like "The rain will fall with life," give you hope
and optimism for a better world.

Kerry Livgren is the consummate artist articulating his deepest thoughts and beliefs
through his music, and there are few as prolific anywhere in the world. He could not have
aligned himself with a better group of musicians. Some of the changes in the compositions
you hear will make your head spin; take "Osvaldo's Groceries" for instance, which is the
shortest running track on the album clocking in at just over 3 minutes. The band changes
tempo at least 10 times during the course of the composition. This band's modus operandi
is to keep you on your toes and listening for changes while intently focused on their
lyrics. It requires deep introspection and multi-tasking listening abilities-there is no
question about that.

I will say it now; this will easily be one of the top prog-rock albums of 2006. As
Before Became After will go down as one of the prog-rock classics, The Wait Of
Glory
will make Proto-Kaw legends in their own time. This is not to be missed, another
perfect 10.

Keith "MuzikMan" Hannaleck

February 9, 2006

01. Nevermore (9:17)
02. Relics of the Tempest (5:07)
03. When the Rains Come (8:56)
04. On the Eve of the Great Decline (4:51)
05. Physic Livgren (5:43)
06. Osvaldo's Groceries (3:17)
07. The Vigil (7:20)
08. Old Number 63 (6:52)
09. Melicus Gladiator (4:52)
10. Picture This (6:30)

Rating-10/10

Credits:

Kerry Livgren - guitar, piano, keyboards, percussion, background vocals
Lynn Meredith - vocals
Dan Wright-organ, keyboards, percussion, background vocals
Craig Kew-bass, background vocals
Brad Schulz - drums

Proto Kaw Website

Post new topic  Reply to topic SPRACI Forum Index -> Jazz (international) All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: