rock

Post new topic  Reply to topic Rock (international) -> The Edgar Winter Group-They Only Come Out At Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  
muzikman

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2006 11:35    Post subject: The Edgar Winter Group-They Only Come Out At Night Reply with quote

Artist: The Edgar Winter Group
Title: They Only Come Out At Night
Format: MFLS UDSACD
Genre: Rock-Blues
Label: Mobile Fidelity
Website

If I had a list with my 100 all time recordings, They Only Come Out At Night would
be on it, mainly for two songs, "Frankenstein" and "Free Ride." Although when you sit and
listen to the album you will find a lot of joy in every track, there really is not one
throwaway to be found.

When I found out Mobile Fidelity was reissuing this in SACD format I wanted it badly. I
anticipated a clear and crisp reproduction of the original master. While this is usually
the case when I hear the wonderful discs that they produce, I was a little disappointed
that the sound was not what I expected. I had to keep turning up the volume to see if I
just was not playing it loud enough. I stood in the center of the room then walked to all
of my speakers and listened, I heard some separation with that process, and then I stood
back in the middle of the room and noticed there was hardly anything coming from my
subwoofer, which normally is very effective. What I determined rather quickly was that the
bottom end was nearly non-existent. Its there, but it lingers faintly in the background.
If this one piece of the recording were coming through strongly as it usually does on MF
product, this disc would be a knockout.

Regardless of my disappointment in the overall sound it does not mean I did not enjoy this
SACD, I really did, I just thought it could have been better with a fuller richer sound.
This is classic album and it was Edgar Winter and his band in their prime. I think the
next album Shock Treatment was outstanding as well; it deserves consideration for
the Mobile Fidelity treatment.

"Undercover Man" and "Rock 'N' Roll Boogie Woogie Blues" were steeped heavily in the blues
and proved repeatedly why Winter always reached back to the blues as a starting point and
or as a jumping off point in a composition. Besides the most memorable hit singles like
"Free Ride" and "Frankenstein," there was a lot more meat and potatoes for digestion that
listeners could enjoy, particularly the music lovers that wanted more than just the hits.
Of course, that is what albums were for to begin with, but somehow that meaning gets lost
when people buy music for a few popular tunes.

Rick Derringer's role on this album should not be understated. His contributions as a
producer and guest musician were a key to its success, obviously enough to make him a full
time member on the next release. Ronnie Montrose was an incredible guitarist and would go
on to greatness a few years later as a solo artist. Looking back now, what Winter had was
the beginnings of a super group.

Everything else aside, if you love rock music, this great album belongs in your
collection.

Keith "MuzikMan" Hannaleck

February 7, 2006

01. Hangin' Around (3:03)
02. When It Comes (3:17)
03. Alta Mira (3:19)
04. Free Ride Hartman (3:09)
05. Undercover Man (3:51)
06. Round & Round (4:00)
07. Rock 'N' Roll Boogie Woogie Blues (3:26)
08. Autumn Hartman (3:01)
09. We All Had a Real Good Time (3:07)
10. Frankenstein Winter (4:46)

Rating-8/10

Credits:

Edgar Winter-lead and background vocals, piano, ARP synthesizer, organ, clavinet, marimba,
sax, timbales
Chuck Ruff-drums, congas, background vocals
Dan Hartman-lead and background vocals, bass, electric and acoustic guitar, ukulele,
maracas
Randy Jo Hobbs-played bass and Johnny Badanajeke played drums on "Free Ride" and "We All
Had A Real Good Time"
Ronnie Montrose- lead guitar, 12-string mandolin
Rick Derringer- guest artist/producer

Edgar Winter Website

Post new topic  Reply to topic SPRACI Forum Index -> Rock (international) All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: